Gillies Brothers Company fonds

Reference Code: Fonds - F 150
Title: Gillies Brothers Company fonds
Date of Creation: 1840-1991
Physical Description:

9.6 metres of textual records

1 audio disc (15 min.)

17 maps and 1 volume of maps

1 plan

8 architectural drawings

9 technical drawings

131 photographs

Scope and Content:

Fonds consists of various materials created or received by the Gillies Brothers lumbering company between 1866 and 1979. Documentation about the company includes correspondence, timber limit records, records concerning properties owned by the company, shanty records, employment records, and financial records. Also included are records on a variety of media such as photographs, sound recordings, and architectural and cartographic records.


There are also several other small groups of records that document activities beyond Gillies Bros. These include financial and other personal records of various members of the Gillies family, records of a mill run by John Gillies which was a predecessor to Gillies Bros. and Co., records of Forbes Galena Mines Limited, and a small number of records that have been attributed to the firm of Carswell, Thistle and MacKay of Calabogie. These were all received by the Archives of Ontario alongside records of Gillies Bros., and have been kept as part of the same fonds.


Although the Archives of Ontario has acquired a wide variety of records from Gillies Bros., few of the series could be described as complete. Many of the series cover a small period of time very well but fail to reveal trends over a long period. The fonds is strongest with respect to financial records and to records detailing timber limits and the day to day production of the timber.


Administrative History or Biographical Sketch:

Gillies Brothers Company was a lumber company which functioned from the mid nineteenth century to 1978, primarily in eastern Ontario.

Click on the link(s) below for more information.

Gillies Brothers Company

Permalink:
Finding Aid:

An inventory is available for this fonds.

Structure of Collection:

View how this material is structured within its collection. Select items to navigate through the different available levels of description, including online series, sub-series and listings.

Restrictions on Access:

No restrictions on access.

How to order these records:

Reading Rooms: First consult the series descriptions and associated lists to narrow down search.

Terms For Use and Reproduction:

Copyright varies. See series descriptions for copyright statements.

Immediate Source of Acquisition: The records described in this inventory were donated to the Archives of Ontario in several accessions between 1976 and 1991. Most of the donations were made by Arnold Gillies Muirhead of Arnprior, Past President of Gillies Bros. & Co.
Availability of Other Formats:

A reference copy of the sound recording is available on audiocassette.

Related Material:

Two fonds located at the Archives of Ontario contain material closely related to the documents in this fonds. The first is the Madawaska Improvement Company Papers (F 137), which at one point was owned by Gillies Bros., and the Carswell & Thistle Invoice Book (F 1476).

Notes:

Title based on content of fonds. Some administrative history information (to 1942) was gathered from Charlotte Whitton's, A Hundred Years A-Fellin' (Gillies Bros. : 1942). An annotated version of this text is available at the Archives of Ontario on microfilm B17. Please note that a ten-minute videotape from a broadcast of CBC Ottawa giving information about the final closing of the paper mill at Braeside, Ontario in May 1992 forms part of the collection file for this fonds, and may be consulted at the discretion of a reference archivist. Please contact a reference archivist for more details.

Other/Former Codes:

Accession numbers: 11317, 12018, 12509, 13672, 14675, 16162, 16222, 16654, 24093, 24250, 24392, 24407.