Mary Ann Shadd Cary fonds
|Reference Code:||Fonds - F 1409|
|Title:||Mary Ann Shadd Cary fonds|
|Date of Creation:||[Microfilmed 1986] (originally created 1851-1889)|
1 reel of microfilm (textual records)
|Scope and Content:||
Fonds consists of letters received by and, in some case, written by Mary Ann Shadd Cary during her time living in present day Ontario. It also includes business records and lecture notes, as well as copies of articles written by Shadd Cary on such topics as supporting integrated schools, fighting segregation and the political stance taken by Provincial Freeman editorial staff.
Included is correspondence between members of Shadd Cary's family including her husband Thomas Cary and her brother Isaac Shadd as well as correspondence with prominent African American abolitionists William Still and H. Ford Douglas and with abolitionist and co-founder of the Provincial Freeman, Rev. Samuel Ringgold Ward, among others.
Also included are records related to the Provincial Freeman, such as subscription receipts, book reviews, draft articles and poetry.
|Administrative History or Biographical Sketch:||
Mary Ann Shadd Cary (1823-1893) was an educator, abolitionist, author, journalist and lawyer in the United States and Canada. She was the first Black female newspaper publisher in Canada and a founder and editor of "The Provincial Freeman."
Click on the link(s) below for more information.
|Restrictions on Access:||
No restrictions on access.
|Terms For Use and Reproduction:||
Records are in the public domain. There are no restrictions on reproduction for research and private study. If you wish to use other than for research and private study any of this material, submit a Request for Permission to Publish, Exhibit or Broadcast Form.
|Immediate Source of Acquisition:||The fonds was donated to the Archives of Ontario in 2022 by Ed and Maxine Robbins.|
|Custodial History:||In 1974, following the demolition of the former home of Shadd Cary in Chatham, Ontario, the records were discovered by Maxine and Ed Robbins in the resulting rubble. The material was loaned to the Archives of Ontario in 1986 for microfilming at which time the records were stabilized to ensure their long-term preservation. The original records were returned to the Robbins and remained in their custody until 2022 when they were donated to the archives.|
|Availability of Other Formats:||
This material is available on self serve microfilm MS 483.
A researcher generated inventory for some of the material is available. Please see a Reference Archivist for more information.
Accession Number: 12944
|Understanding the Description Hierarchy:||
The Description Hierarchy button above shows the records described on this page in the hierarchical context of the collection to which they belong. This structure will appear below and your current position within the hierarchy will be identified in the list by highlighted text. You can use this button to navigate through the different levels of description (e.g. fonds, series, sub-series, files and items, as applicable).
For fonds, collections and series with an online listing, select the Description Hierarchy button to view lower levels of description including files or items within the collection.
For files and items, select the Description Hierarchy button to see related files and items within the same group of records as well as higher levels of description that make up the hierarchical context.