Photograph of a lithograph showing Sword’s Hotel on Front Street, Toronto, 1846

Reference Code: File - F 4436-0-0-0-7
Title: Photograph of a lithograph showing Sword’s Hotel on Front Street, Toronto, 1846
Date of Creation: 1846
Physical Description:

1 photograph : lantern slide

Permalink:
Structure of Collection:

View how this material is structured within its collection. Select items to navigate through the different available levels of description, including online series, sub-series and listings.

Forms Part of: F 4436 - William H. Hammond fonds
Restrictions on Access:

See the higher-level description in the Description Hierarchy for restriction information.

Notes:

Original notes from collector: Sword's Hotel on Front St. West. Built in 1845. From 1848 to 1853, it was one of the educational centres of the City, and was known as Knox College and Toronto Academy. In 1854, it went to the other extreme when it became Sword's hotel, as shown above. This slide was copied from a periodical of those days. As the punster would say, it went from "pedagogic to "pedagrogic". In 1862 it became the Queen's Hotel, and in 1927 it was rebuilt as the Royal York. It is interesting to remember that at that time, postage stamps were still unknown. When a letter was sent post-paid, the outside was marked in Red Ink, and unpaid postage was marked in Black Ink. Photographer: Unknown

Location and Ordering Information: A-3407