Old Shakespeare Hotel at the corner of King and York streets, Toronto

Reference Code: File - F 4436-0-0-0-12
Title: Old Shakespeare Hotel at the corner of King and York streets, Toronto
Date of Creation: 1858
Physical Description:

1 photograph : lantern slide

Permalink:
Structure of Collection:

View how this material is structured within its collection. Select items to navigate through the different available levels of description, including online series, sub-series and listings.

Forms Part of: F 4436 - William H. Hammond fonds
Restrictions on Access:

See the higher-level description in the Description Hierarchy for restriction information.

Notes:

Original notes from collector: King and York Streets – northeast corner. The old Shakespeare Hotel stood here from 1831 to 1870. Until recently, this was the site of the Old imperial Hotel and today the home of the Globe and Mail. In 1858 when this picture was taken, the sterling currency was abolished and the present decimal system introduced. During this period – in 1861 – the first horse drawn streetcar was put into commission. Terms of the original charter were that the speed of the cars was not to exceed 6 miles an hour. Compare this with today's new T.T.C. one-man cars. The first horse-drawn car pulled out of the barn at Yorkville on a cold afternoon and passed south on Yonge Street with the Artillery Band sitting on the roof playing popular music. Sad to record, before it reached the destination at the St. Lawrence Market, it was twice derailed. Good old Toonerville Trolley. Photographer: George Schofield

Location and Ordering Information: A-3407